Thursday, February 5, 2015

One of Mattawa's most impressive poems in Tocqueville was "Terrorist". The poem is quite cryptic. For example, I am unable to figure out why it is called "Terrorist". Most of the writing is descriptions of the author unifying his body with his brother's "I become my brother’s Siamese twin./
Rubbing the ashes of his bones unto my face". Why/how he chose the title is unclear. The poem is very dark, and gruesome images are created throughout: "I have cleansed my body with the soap of his fat,/ stuffed my pillows with his shorn hair,/ I made dice of his molars." Though I appreciate the imagery, I'm at a loss trying to figure out what message it communicates. My favorite line of the poem was: "despite my bunkered heart and fortified skin,". The combination of words rolls nicely off the tongue.

Having finished Tocqueville, I overall like what the author did with the collection. Problems that I had with the poems were not because of the author, it was because of my own feelings about poetry. Though I would probably not pick up this book or another poetry collection again, I will remember how to pick out small things that I like within the writing. I have come to realize that I will never enjoy poetry, but I can still see how skilled the writing is.

1 comment: